Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Amherst Township Model Home – May 1964

As regular readers of this blog know, I enjoy posting vintage ads for Lorain County model homes.

Why? The ads are interesting, providing a documented glimpse of the latest modern features for homes at that time. Best of all, since the houses were special, they're usually still standing and in good shape, thus providing me with good "then and now" posts.

The above ad ran in the Lorain Journal on May 22, 1964 and featured an Amherst Township house built by C. Don Yunker. The ad was basically a plug for Ohio Edison (note the cameo appearance of our pal Reddy Kilowatt).

Perhaps because the house was so new, there was no address listed other than Oberlin Road. And despite the small map indicating its approximate location, it was a challenge to find it. It took me a while "cruising" Oberlin Road via Bing Maps to eventually figure out its location (below) so I could head out there with my camera.
On Sunday, I took a detour on the way to the grocery store to get my "now" shot. Although the rendering of the house in the ad suggests that it sits on a bland suburban street, that is not the case. The house's Oberlin Road setting is tranquil and beautiful, and the house could easily be mistaken for a charming farm house.


No comments: