Thursday, March 19, 2015

Lorain Auto Show Ad – March 21, 1955

The Cleveland Auto Show just ended (I went for the first time ever), so this post is kind of appropriate.

Above is a great ad for the 1955 Lorain Auto Show that appeared in the Lorain Journal on March 21, 1955. The big event was held at the Lorain Arena and was the inaugural event for the about-to-be-opened venue.
The illustration of the family in the Journal ad really epitomizes the optimism and postwar prosperity of the 1950s. When I first saw it, it reminded me of something – and then I remembered.

Whether by design or coincidence, it's an updated version of the American family depicted in the famous 1930s billboard (below) that was part of a campaign for the National Association of Manufacturers (NAM).


I wonder what the equivalent ad would look like today?

3 comments:

Ken said...

Is there a correlation between American prosperity and hat wear?

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I think a modern version would depict all of them talking on their cell phones. Sad state of affairs!
Jeff Rash

Anonymous said...

Including the dog.