Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Election Day 2014

Remember these types of machines? I do!
(Courtesy of rare pattern.com)
Well, it's finally Election Day – another one of those days where I take the day off from blogging about local history.

Let me explain why. Because I'm a volunteer poll worker, my day begins at my Avon Lake precinct around 5:15 am.  Needless to say, I hit the hay early on Monday night – thus, no time to properly prepare anything for the blog here today! Sorry about that.

Today, my day doesn't end until more than an hour after the polls close. We usually aren't dismissed until around 8:30 or 8:45 pm. That makes for a long day doing my civic duty.

I enjoy working the election, though. Besides getting paid for my labor, it's interesting and kind of fun.

Being one of the newer workers at the precinct where I work has its drawbacks, however.  I usually end up having to take my two breaks (for lunch and dinner) at the times nobody else wants. During the May election, I had to eat lunch at around 9 in the morning, and dinner was in the early afternoon. So voters got to listen to my stomach growling as I asked them for a form of I.D. during that long stretch until the polls closed.

Anyway, be sure to vote today! And if you see me working the signature table in Avon Lake, be sure to say hi!

No comments: